Saturday, August 9, 2008

A conversation comes to mind plus the marking of an end

DSC_0547
Here we are at Walden pond.

This was where Henry Thoreau spent his days and it brought an old conversation back to our today. Thoreau was a few days away from dying and his friend, Parker Pillsbury, noticed this. He said to Thoreau, "You seem so near the brink of the dark river that I almost wonder how the opposite shore may appear to you." Thoreau replied, "One world at a time."

Just wanted to share this with you guys. What he said is something that's deeply felt from me. It seems like everybody is trying to find their groove in the philosophies or religions that they are forgetting to be here. On this planet and living in this world. Yes, Thoreau, one world at a time.

DSC_0556
(statue is of Thoreau at the replica of where he used to live- pix taken by mally)

I wandered around the replica of his house and wondered to myself, "What would he be thinking of all of this?" His old spot has become a tourist spot where anyone can go inside to see where he lived, rested his head, sat down to write and felt all his emotions. Personally, I think Thoreau would be miffed but comforted in knowing the place is protected from any deforesting.

A little something before I close this posting. Yesterday ma, pa and wyns left for California (but they missed their connecting flight due to the thunder storm and are now in Utah) so we took a few group shots before they boarded their plane. Here's us at lis' and robert's place in Newton.
DSC_0592
from left to right, Matt (kortney's friend), Kortney, Mally, Mom, me, Keri, Dad, Lis, Jahren and Robert.

us in Mercato del Mare, (Keri's store)
DSC_0607
(pix taken by Liz, the co-owner of Mercato del Mare)

and finally, us three at the airport-
DSC_0005
(pix taken by Lis)

It was weird to watch them go. Once they are with their father, I know I will relax a bit and enjoy my surroundings again. Tomorrow, it will be DC time for me and I'm smiling about it and at the same time, my shoulders feel the weight of realities. Them leaving simply marks the near end of the summer and the last part of my vacation. Oi. In spite of it being wrapped up slowly (quickly), I look forward to chilling out with one of my oldest friend and others.

Back to the bags she goes, gotta cram in these last items somehow...

love and light to all

1 comment:

The Skys said...

Love the Mercado family pix, each one of your expression is really into character. Love it :)

And Thoreau's Pond, love it.

xoxoclarexoxo

the face behind the words