Lesson 1: Child Development
Did you know that identical twins have the exact same fingerprints?

When I told Clare this today, her reaction was just as drastic as mine,
"WHAT?! No way." *pause* "Seriously?"
We put our hands together and compared our lines,

"Look! You got these two-same as me..."
Wow.
Often, a question passes by, "What is it like to be a twin?"
As always, I would truthfully ask back, "What is it like to not be a twin?"
Lesson 2: Child Development deux
I have learned what my children are going through with their body. The exact stages and reading it had me feel the deepest pang a parent could feel with knowing that their child is growing up and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

"Why mom? Why?"
You want to give them a future and you want to shield them from all painful experiences but the future must include all experiences. I am at the point, as a mother to my children, where I must stand aside and trust in them that they would react well.

This is not an easy thing to do.
Lesson 3: Deaf Culture
I have also learned the roots of the word, "communication" through reading an essay about being inside the Deaf community. In Latin, "communication" means "to become one with."
What the Deaf community has given me?
Communication, communicating/becoming one with.
We share.

Beautiful.
Lesson 4: Basic math
35-4x6=8 equals *insert alot of scribbled numbers and cross outs* 19!
For the first time in my life, I can actually solve this? oooOOOoooo.
Relief.
Lesson Zero,0, to ???? (lost count): Living life by staying up late
If you don't sleep enough,
you are fucked.

4 comments:
I heard the other day that twins have the same DNA. Now that's cool!
Love the pic with you and the kids (Statue of Liberty).
Today I had my first "Intro to the Deaf-Blind Community" and the teacher, who is DB, explained how there is a difference between empathy and pity. I loved how she described it, and I totally agree with her.
Lis, what was the difference for her? Curious. Cat, I pointed at the picture of you with the wyns, love it, it looks like a decoupage sort of photo. Loved this blog too- I never get bored of the picture jk took of us dancing (with jc's foot in there too :)). MWAH.
i know :*(
She described how she does not sign the word "Vulnerable" as "weak," and how in order to experience life we need to be vulnerable. And there was good discussion about the stigmas in our society and how empathy is putting yourself in another's shoes and pity is looking down on someone.
Post a Comment